Behind The Lens
Join the VPA Listserve!
Books & classes – coming soon…
Find your crew in the Charlottesville and southwest Virginia area – CREW UP! is coming soon…
The Filmmaker’s Republik is a collective of media and film artists working to form a virtual studio in Central Virginia. This group is open to everyone interested in collaborating, especially filmmakers who want to work on location and contribute in multiple ways to the process of making films. Members are encouraged to participate in shared projects, both commercial and artistic for the advancement for the group and the individual. The goal is to help members focus on their specialty (ex. cinematography) in the filmmaking process and increase both the quality and quantity of their annual output, from pre- to post-production.
The Filmmaker’s Republik does not compromise your current work commitment! It instead allows you to realize completion of your private to-do list. As a loose union of like-minded independents, it maximizes your efforts in making films. For more information contact Brian Wimer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VA Film Festivals and Screenings
- 48-Hour Film Project – summer in Richmond & Hampton roads. Best films are selected for National Competition
- Arthouse Film Festival – October in Richmond. Showcasing short films by Virginia’s best filmmakers.
- Bicycle Film Festival – July 10-11in Richmond. Now in its ninth year the festival is held in 39 cities worldwide.
- DC Independent Film Festival – April 15-25 in Washington, DC. Submissions are accepted.
- The Final Cut Showcase – October in Charlottesville (at UVA). A non-competitive exhibition of films made by students that currently attend or have previously attended UVA.
- Flicker – All year – Richmond. A bi-monthly screenings of shorts by local filmmakers.
- French Film Festival – March 25-28 in Richmond. Sponsored by VCU and University of Richmond.
- James River Film Festival – March 19-25 in Richmond.
(All of these in gray may be better in the actual business directory ?)
- Mid-Atlantic Black Film Festival – October 7-9 in Hampton’s Road.
- Naro Cinema – All year in Norfolk. A Sunday morning series.
- The Northern Virginia Film Festival – October. A showcase for future filmmakers.
- Project Resolution – Monthly screenings and audience interactions with filmmakers in Firehouse Theater in Richmond.
- Rappahannock Independent Film Festival – August 26-29 in Fredericksburg.
- Redemptive Film Festival – October in Virginia Beach. An international festival that provides a forum for filmmakers to showcase their work on themes that depict the redemptive purposes of God.
- Rosebud Film and Video Festival – summer, dates to be announced.
- Slapsticon – July 15-18 Arlington. An annual, 4 day film festival of rarely seen comedies from silent and early sound eras.
- Veneration Film Festival – February 7 in Hampton.
- Virginia Festival of Jewish Film – January 23-31 in Norfolk.
- Virginia Film Festival – First weekend in November, Charlottesville. Year-round screenings of new and unusual films.
- Virginia Independent Film Festival – Last weekend in February, Richmond. Sponsored by the Virginia Film Office.
- Williamsburg Film Festival – March 10-13 in Williamsburg.
CONTENT/LINKS ARE IN PROCESS. PLEASE SEND YOUR IDEAS TO FURTHER EXPAND THIS PAGE!